Saturday, January 31, 2009

she said it was cheaper than therapy

Let me start by thanking my daughter one more time for giving me a use for my laptop other than having Internet service for my youngest son and printing scrap booking pictures. Whenever I need a good laugh I read her blogs (toobusytoclean). I was not blessed with the sense of humor that she has but she tells me all blogs do not always have to be funny. She claims that blogging can also be therapeutic. In the past we have discussed writing my biography because most people are shocked when I share parts of my life with them. My life reads like a novel with what seems to be one tragedy after another. Truthfully it is more like one bad choice after another, hence the title " lessons better left unlearned".
I guess I could go back to my earliest memory and share with you what a wonderful (normal) childhood I had but I'll save that for another day. Let's get to the meat. I was 12 yrs old when my mom and dad divorced. The first of many causes for my poor decisions and the aftermath of each of them. Mom moved us to North Carolina (in the boonies) and dad stayed in Virginia (in the city) Not only was this backwoods country life new to me, I also had a great deal of difficulty acclimating myself to this new environment. Boredom can prove to be the devil's workshop. I made it through the second semester of 7th grade without too many problems. Making new friends was hard. These girls had obviously been bored a long time because they were way ahead of me when it came to doing things you had no business doing. It didn't take long before I realized that being the only green pea in a pot of black eyed peas was not very comfortable. So my first mistake...........changing colors to fit in. Hey, that was easy. Not long before I was one of the crowd. Now am I willing to give of all the morals and standards I had been taught to stay in the crowd. Unfortunately my answer was YES! I needed friends and they were really interested in having a "CITY" girl in the group. My the end of the 7th grade they had taught me to Lie, Smoke cigarettes, Drink a little Boones Farm Wine, have a boyfriend and how to climb out my bedroom window after everyone in my house was asleep so I could indulge myself in each of these. There you go........everything my mother had ever taught me "out the window" in less than one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment